Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Designing Holiday Traditions - Part 1

Since becoming a mother, it finally occurred to me that there has been a subliminal passing of the holiday tradition torch. By that, I mean that I never really claimed it. All I did was give birth and now I'm in charge of creating family traditions! Who me? Yikes, that's a tall order! But it made me realize that much like designing a home, designing a lifestyle for your family that is rooted in tradition both old and new is just as central to who you are as your living space.

Now that the holidays are here, I've been giving some thought to creating or passing down long lasting traditions for my own family and what I'd like to do to create meaning, togetherness and fun. In the spirit of giving thanks, my amazing client actually inspired me for her holiday table. She has gathered beautiful autumn leaves from her property for her centerpiece, and from them she hung little chalkboard discs. All of her guests can pay tribute and write down what they are thankful for.  Lovely idea!







She used these wonderful chalkboard discs from Etsy store, thesittingtree


And don't forget to place a few Bistro Chalk Markers on the table for guests to write on the tag!

More holiday traditions and ideas coming up next week, post turkey coma. Stay tuned!

No comments: